All3Media has successfully syndicated its award-winning content through multiple global digital distribution channels, including iTunes, NetFlix and YouTube. Alongside these digital channels and its traditional relationships with broadcasters, All3Media wished to experiment with a B2C, direct-to-consumer offering that would deliver television content to the television.
There were several objectives:
- To experiment in development of direct consumer relationships
- To experiment in selling PPV content to end consumers
- To increase awareness of the All3Media brand as a destination for innovative entertainment content
- To understand consumer pricing models and promotion methods
- To create a differentiated TV-based application that felt more like a personal TV channel than a website with video
- To determine viability for long-term productionisation of such a B2C service alongside existing distribution channels
- To trial strategic partnerships with key suppliers easeltv, PayWizard and Ooyala
The All3Media application was launched onto Samsung & LG Connected TVs in 2012. Other platforms and devices will be added during 2012/13. The application, based on easeltv’s Suggested TV platform, provides a linear-style television experience which feels like a TV channel. When the application starts, full-screen video plays according to a suggested playlist of content. The playlist is determined by both editorial and algorithmic curation, where editorially featured content is filtered by business rules that learn from consumer behaviour.
An overview of the application and an interview with Andy Taylor, Director of Digital Media, All3Media is here.
Interview with Andy Taylor, Director of Digital Media, All3Media.